Note: This post contains affiliate links* I’m back with a new The K-Beauty Podcast episode! Today I’ll discuss 5 new and trending Korean skincare ingredients that are huge in 2019!
Hello, hello and welcome back to The K-Beauty Podcast! Apologies for the long hiatus, but I am back for a new episode with a topic I know many of you love more than anything else: chatting about cool and trending Korean skincare ingredients! This week’s The K-Beauty Podcast episode discusses 5 new and trending K-beauty ingredients that are truly omnipresent in 2019.
Now, some of these trending Korean skincare ingredients have been mentioned on this podcast before, but I just wanted to do another “ingredient spotlight” comparable to what I did in episode five, which is still one of the most popular podcast episodes of all time. You guys like hearing about interesting skincare ingredients, it seems – I am glad!
As usual, I am trying to actively dispel the myth that the Korean and the wider Asian beauty industry is somehow “weirder” or “more exotic” than Western beauty companies and brands. I am not a fan of Western publications always emphasising the “strangeness” of snail slime, or the supposed complexity of K-beauty routines.
In truth, Korean skincare can be as complicated or as minimalist as you choose, and no, not every skincare range focuses on slimy snails, freakish horse oil or whatever ingredient is being put on focus whenever K-beauty’s supposed “exoticism” is stressed. Yes, these ingredients exist in Asian skincare (horse oil is particularly big in Japan), but there are also many cruelty-free and plant-based skincare products for all of you vegans out there.
Indeed, many of the products discussed today are in fact from cruelty-free, often fully vegan and even organic brands such as URANG, which has been utilising many of the currently trending Korean skincare ingredients such as rose water and azulene. I mean, I do love my snail mucin extract, but I just feel there is still too much overemphasis on and judgement of these types of ingredients. So, here we go with this new K-beauty podcast episode after the long hiatus!
Here is episode TWENTY-ONE of The K-Beauty Podcast: 5 New Trending Korean Skincare Ingredients in 2019
Episode Notes: 5 New Trending Korean Skincare Ingredients in 2019
1. Azulene (9:26)
- Some facts about Azulene
- Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Cream – prices for this are usually the lowest at Yesstyle*
- Tia’m Snail & Azulene Water Essence Toner – buy at Yesstyle* or at Althea* (currently the cheapest price at 12.50$!)
- Tia’m Snail & Azulene Low Ph Cleanser – buy at Yesstyle*
- Tia’m Snail & Azulene Sleeping Mask – buy at Yesstyle* or at Althea*
- A. By BOM Blue Cica Azulene Dew Soothing Hydration Cream – buy at Bemused Korea
- A. By BOM Blue Cica Soothing Mask – buy at Bemused Korea
- URANG Brightening Blue Oil Serum – buy at Ohlolly*
- Bonair Blue Smoother Face Oil – buy at Lookfantastic*
- Bonair Blue Smoother Cleansing Oil – buy at Lookfantastic*
- Dermatory Azulene Rescue Gauze Pads – buy at Amazon.com* or Amazon Germany*
- APIEU Calming Cica Bubble Toner Azulene – I can only find this in the massive 750ml size, for instance at Testerkorea; maybe check Ebay to see if you can find a seller for the smaller size
2. Mugwort (21:43)
- This Allure article lists many benefits of mugwort in Korean skincare products
- The Klog also has an article about mugwort that shows the long historical connections of this herb with Korean culture
- I’m from Mugwort Essence – buy at Yesstyle*
- I’m from Mugwort Sheet Mask – buy at Yesstyle*
- Isntree Real Mugwort Clay Mask – buy at Yesstyle*
- Isntree Spot Saver Mugwort Ampoule – buy at Yesstyle*
- Missha Time Revolution Artemisia Treatment Essence – buy at Yesstyle*
- Missha also offers the Artemisia Essence as a handy facial mist,* with basically the same ingredient (100% double-fermented Artemisia Annua extract)
3. Idebenone (33:56)
- Interesting facts about what Idebenone can do for skin in this The Skincare Chemist article
- Isntree Idebenone Revital Energy Ampoule – buy the double set at Yesstyle*
- make p:rem Idebenone Lifting Ampoule – buy the double set at Yesstyle*
- CNP Laboratory Idebenone Concentrate – buy at Yesstyle*
- Innisfree Skin Clinic Mask Idebenone – buy at Yesstyle* (choose type in the drop down menu)
4. PHAs (40:18)
- This The Klog article predicted PHAs to become big even back in 2016!
- Another informative article about PHAs and how they work from Allure
- Benton PHA Peeling Gel – buy at Stylekorean*
- Benton PHA Peeling Toner – buy at Yesstyle*
- Nakeup Face PHA Water Tox Ampoule – buy at Yesstyle*
- Cosrx PHA Moisture Renewal Power Cream – buy at Yesstyle*
- Cosrx Low Ph PHA Barrier Mist – US peeps can buy at Beautytap* and the rest of the world at kmall24
- Isntree Clear Skin PHA Sleeping Mask – buy at Yesstyle*
5. Bulgarian Rose/Rose Damascena (51:48)
- Some basic info from Harper’s Bazaar on the benefits of rose water
- Check out these stunning images of the Bulgarian Rose Festival in this National Geographic article (I want to go there, it looks so beautiful!)
- Heimish Bulgarian Rose Water Hydrogel Eye Patch – buy at Yesstyle*
- AROMATICA Rose First Absolute First Serum – buy at Yesstyle*
- URANG True Rose Repair Essence – read my English review of this serum, buy at Ohlolly*, Germans can also buy this at Flaconi*
- URANG Rose Ceramide Cream – buy at Ohlolly*, Germans can buy this at Flaconi*
- Isntree Real Rose Calming Mask – buy at Yesstyle*
The Weekly Craves, Faves and Misbehaves (1:03:58)
- Crave of the week: #17VDerma PiBuWang Pink Peel Pad – buy at Yesstyle* or at Amazon.com*
- Fave of the week: The Lotus Jeju Botanical Ph Balancing Cleanser – read my German review, buy at Yesstyle* or Germans can also buy this at Juui.de*
- Misbehave of the week: Bellflower Idebenone Brightening Serum – buy at Sweet Corea
As always, thank you for supporting The K-Beauty Podcast and my other creative work by using the affiliate links on this blog when making your beauty purchases. My special thank you goes out to the wonderful people that have donated a small amount to my ko-fi page, I appreciate your support so, so much! Your messages of support are everything!
Don’t forget to subscribe on ITunes to never miss a new podcast episode, or stay up to date with new releases on Stitcher and now also on Spotify! Follow me on Instagram for more English content, and make sure to check out the ever-growing English section of this blog!
Let me know in the comments: Have you noticed any of these trending Korean skincare ingredients lately? What other skincare ingredient trends in K-beauty do you think are becoming huge this year?
Take care, guys!
*Affiliate Links, meaning I earn a small commission if you decide to use the link to purchase an item. This does not raise the purchase price for you, and it helps me and my blog to grow – so, thank you for supporting me in this way!