Due to popular demand, this week’s The K-Beauty Podcast episode discusses 5 Korean beauty trends that are emerging to be huge for the latter half of 2018, and have the potential to be even bigger in 2019!
Today’s episode of The K-Beauty Podcast is basically a follow-up to what remains one of the podcast’s most popular episode, Asian Skincare Trends in 2018. Guys – I love doing beauty trend forecasts! I don’t know why, but noticing that a trendy ingredient, brand or product type is becoming a huge deal in the beauty community, and then to follow its rise from niche or indie darling to mainstream phenomenon is weirdly satisfying to me.
I must also admit that I feel somewhat smugly happy about the fact that my predictions for what will be trending in 2018 when it comes to Asian skincare were pretty accurate so far: centella asiatica is everywhere, the minimalist packaging trend is taking over Instagram, anti-ageing peptide skincare has become mainstream, fermented skincare is a big deal especially in Asia, and, well, even though I’m still not a fan of it, there is no doubt that “glass skin” has become a social media phenomenon.
Now that we are about to enter the last quarter of the year, I felt it would be fun to do another discussion of 5 new(ish…) Korean beauty trends that I feel are being picked up more and more by Western brands, and that are basically exploding all across Korea right now. Whenever I see something popping up on my social media feed again and again, I tend to make a little note of it on my smartphone. As soon as I hit the magical number 5 in terms of “Korean beauty trends I’m noticing”, I felt it was time to get my mic out and chat with you about what I have been seeing in terms of K-beauty trends.
Since Audacity hates me and wants to sabotage my work in the most devilish ways, I had to re-record the ENTIRE episode and re-edit everything, which means that I was very grumpy and tired on my second attempt. I mispronounced quite a few words such as saying “subtle” instead of “supple” and other such embarrassments – no, it’s not because I am a silly non native speaker, it was really mostly due to fatigue and sadness. Also – for some reason, the “plosives” (so k, p, and t sounds) were crazy intense in this recording, even though I do use a pop filter. I’d suggest going for a lower volume setting – I tried my best to edit out the worst moments, but I’m not an audio mixing expert, so it was only semi-successful. Clearly, this episode has been cursed for some reason, argh!
Here is episode FIFTEEN of The K-Beauty Podcast: 5 New 2018 Korean Beauty Trends That Will Become Huge!
Episode Notes: 5 New 2018 Korean Beauty Trends That Will Become Huge!
- Read my previous blog article on K-beauty skincare trends for 2018 and/or listen to my podcast episode about the same topic
- If you live in the EU, make sure to check out the amazing acid exfoliators from Geek & Gorgeous – they sadly do not ship to Northern America (yet?)
5 New 2018 Korean Beauty Trends – products mentioned
1. Eggplant Extract
- Papa Recipe Eggplant Clearing Ampoule – buy at Amazon DE*, buy at Testerkorea
- U:RE Skin Eggplant Master Peeling Pads – buy at Amazon US*
- XOY Eggplant Mask Pack – buy at Althea Korea
2. Sunscreen Sticks
- A.H.C Natural Plus Sun Stick SPF50+ PA++++ – buy at Amazon US*, buy at Amazon DE*
- April Skin Magic Snow Sun Stick SPF 50+ PA+++ – buy at Amazon US*
- CAREZONE Doctor Solution Derma Repair Cica Sun Stick SPF47 PA+++ – buy at Amazon US*
- Innisfree Ato Soothing Sun Stick SPF50+ and PA++++ – buy at Testerkorea
- Etude House – UV Double Cut Transparent Sun Stick SPF50+ PA++++ – buy at Yesstyle*
3. Ready-to-Use Pads
- Commleaf Rose Moisture Pad, 30 pads – buy at Amazon US*
- Neogen Dermalogy Real Cica Pads, 90 pads – buy at Yesstyle*
- COSRX One Step Moisture Up Pad, 70 pads – buy at Yesstyle*, buy at Beautytap*
- COSRX Step Original Clear Pad, 70 pads, buy at Yesstyle*
- Missha Super Aqua Smooth Skin Peeling Pad, 60 pads – buy at Beautytap*
- Wish Formula Night Night 365 Sea Water Sleeping Pad Mask, 26 pads – buy at Yesstyle*
- Petitfee Azulene Ultra Soothing Pads, 70 pads – buy at Yesstyle*
4. Azulene-based Products
- Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Cream – buy at Wishtrend* (make sure to choose the bigger sized tube! And use the free shipping code “AUGFREESHIPPING” at checkout!), buy at Yesstyle* (often cheaper, compare prices)
- Klairs Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop – buy at Wishtrend* (use code “AUGFREESHIPPING”), buy at Yesstyle*
- Carenology 95 RE:Blue Regenerating Serum – check on Ebay for Sellers, or buy at Beautybox Korea
- Proud Mary Azulene Ampoule – buy at Yesstyle in a small size* (20ml) or a large size* (50ml)
5. Low Irritant “Derma” Skincare Lines
- Etude House Soon Jung ph 5.5 Relief Toner – buy at Yesstyle*
- Etude House Soon Jung 10 Free Moist Emulsion – buy at Yesstyle*
- Innisfree The Minimum Ampoule Essence for Sensitive Skin – buy at Yesstyle*
- Innisfree Derma Formula Skin Barrier Cream – buy at Stylekorean*
- The Face Shop Dr. Belmeur Daily Repair Ato Salt Cream – buy at Yesstyle*
- The Face Shop Dr. Belmeur Advanced Cica Recovery Serum – buy at Yesstyle*
The Weekly Craves, Faves and Misbehaves:
- Crave of the week: Tia’m Snail & Azulene Water Essence – buy at Beautytap*
- Fave of the week: Bioré Perfect Face Milk with SPF 50+ – buy at Amazon US*, buy at Amazon DE*
- Misbehave of the week: Too Cool For School Egg Mousse Soap Facial Cleanser – buy at Sephora, Germans can buy this at Sephora Germany*
Thanks for listening to this week’s episode of The K-Beauty Podcast, all about 5 new 2018 Korean beauty trends that I think will become even bigger by the end of this year! Remember to subscribe on ITunes so that you never miss a new podcast episode, or catch up on Stitcher. If you are enjoying my content and find it worth supporting, you can now buy me a virtual coffee on my ko-fi page!
Let me know in the comments: What Korean beauty trends are you currently seeing on social media? Do you feel that my predictions are accurate?
Take care, guys!
*Affiliate Links, meaning I earn a small commission if you decide to use the link to purchase an item. This does not raise the purchase price for you, and it helps me and my blog to grow – so, thank you for supporting me in this way!